The Clearing House Mechanism
The Clearing-House Mechanism (CHM) of the Convention on Biological Diversity has been established further to Article 18.3 of the Convention.
Further to decision X/15, its mission is to contribute significantly to the implementation of the Convention on Biological Diversity and its Strategic Plan for Biodiversity 2011-2020, through effective information services and other appropriate means in order to promote and facilitate scientific and technical cooperation, knowledge sharing and information exchange, and to establish a fully operational network of Parties and partners.
This mission is articulated around three major goals:
- The central clearing-house mechanism provides effective global information services to facilitate the implementation of the Strategic Plan for Biodiversity 2011-2020.
- National clearing-house mechanisms provide effective information services to facilitate the implementation of the national biodiversity strategies and action plans.
- Partners significantly expand the clearing-house mechanism network and services.
The implementation actvities of the Clearing-House Mechanism have been guided by the Conference of the Parties.
The Clearing-House Mechanism consists of the following components:
- The CBD website, acting as the central node.
- The network of national Clearing-House Mechanisms.
- Various partner institutions.
The Clearing-House Mechanism is constantly being improved to better contribute to the implementation of the Strategic Plan for Biodiversity 2011-2020 and the achievement of the Aichi Biodiversity Targets. A list of priority activities has been defined, and a description of the information services to be provided by the central Clearing-House Mechanism is available in the-clearing-house-mechanismument UNEP/CBD/CHM/IAC/2010/1/3.